Saturday, March 10, 2007

Late of The Pier Live

Me and Albert were busy at The Promises Rehabilitation Center (its in Tha US of A so I will use their spelling) for most of this week so we sent Da Boss over at Filthy Few to check out some new band.

Most new bands are rubbish. There are two many of them and the majority use guitars. We need more Keytairs.



Late of The Pier are actually quite good and worth a listen. Firas has bet his whole penison/mortgage/Oasis shrine on their success so I hope they make it big time because I don't want the Filthy Few coming round to Hoxton to find shelter. I also want some of the moolah if the wager works.

Here is his letter of love about them. The bold stuff (in brackets) has been added by Funbongo


Late of The Pier


I've developed somewhat of an addiction to the music of these 4 Castle Donington lads for a year now. At times my friends have called me obsessive. I don't mind, I don't really care that much to be frank (Butcher - cheap gag but too tempting).

I remember the fateful day when I'd skived university to spend the day in Chateuax Shiraz (what is he talking about?) - when I got a call from a school friend of mine (Martin Fowler). Casually he mentioned a band from our home shire (Holloway Prison). I took it upon myself to investigate further - little did I know, 20 minutes later I'd be catapulted far off into a musical dimension not invigorated in my mind since the days of Oasis and Blur (deary me, move on Firas).



It certainly wet my juices (errr).

1 year on and they're playing at the TRASH hand me down DURRRR at London's AKA / End Nightclub. Far away from the smaller haunts of Nambuca, Notting Hill Arts Club & Bar Music Hall that they're used to. Playing to a packed out and rather sweaty audience, the performance they gave on stage evidenced just why Trash GODFATHER Erol Alkan (are you kidding me? I guess he is the Godfather of bad remixes) was jigging his ass in the way he did (maybe he needed the toilet?).



Classics (misuse of the word) such as 'HeartBeat' (I guess this is a cover of the Pet Shop Boys song or the theme to the TV show?), 'Broken' & new single 'Space in the Woods' all got a thrashing; newer material like the bone jangling 'White Snake' and one I can't remember the name of (I believe its called 'tits McGee goes to church') cemented their consistency and showed a different style.

Pet Shop Boys - Heart


One word you couldn't use in regards to these guys is pigeon hole (obviously, that's two words).

Unfortunately for us and them their set was cut short. Some muppet (three cheers for Albert! He was just doing what no-one else had the guts to do) in the crowd decided to feed vodka coke into Potter's mouth (free drink, what's his problem?) - his actions called spillage on their prime piece of electronic wizardry (a Casio Baby-G watch) and shorted the circuits (Johnny Five is alive!) .



The path's been carved out and you'll be seeing them very soon on some sh*tty sunday morning teenage show with presenters who don't know jack (I hope he doesn't mean T4). Only thing is, they'll turn it on the flipside (what?).

Check out Podcast # 1 from the FILTHY FEW fraternity for their first demo of SPACE IN THE WOODS.

LOTP Myspaz page

No comments: